What’s in my bag?
PUBLISHED: 11:42 31 March 2015 | UPDATED: 11:42 31 March 2015
Amy Westall takes a sneak peek into the handbag of Sue Smith, owner of Labels to Love designer dress agency and boutique in Hadleigh
Sue Smith knows a thing or two about retail fashion, having worked in it for more than 30 years.
“I have always worked for other people, but I knew owning a boutique myself was something I wanted to do in the long run. I decided to stick with the designer dress agency as that was the type of clothes I was used to selling, and it has simply grown from there.”
Sue opened the boutique in May 2013 and it has continued to evolve as a collection of preloved and new stock. Recently she has also started to sell lingerie and do bra fittings.
“I take in designer labels, or top end high street items, from people who want to sell outfits they may have only worn once. This is an opportunity for them to get their money back and for me to make some money also.”
Sue see customers who wanted to sell clothing or accessories by appointment. Items go up for sale for eight weeks, after which, if they don’t sell, Sue keeps them to sell when the item is back in season.
When it comes to handbags, Sue is all about the large and trendy.
“I reckon I could fill this shop with my handbags. I carry one wherever I go and can keep up to 14 items in just one bag! I always like to put a spare pair of shoes in my handbag, especially if I want to swap to flats after wearing high heels for too long.
1. My bag is the Ted Baker Tama Quilted Satchel Bag. I love blue-purple shades and anything shiny so that’s what attracted me to this handbag, along with the handy pockets. My partner and I simply went shopping one day and the minute I spotted this bag, I fell in love with it. Therefore it became a lovely Christmas present!
2. Elie Saab is one of my favourite perfumes. The scent is warming, musky and woody, contained in a gorgeous bottle. I always seem to buy myself some perfume whenever I go away, so I bought this one at the airport on my way to Tenerife. The bottle attracted me at first and then the radiant aroma soon followed.
3. This Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray is something I always have. It came from Select Hairdressers in Sudbury,where I am a customer. It comes in a beautifully coloured can, and the argan oil infused spray gives a weightless, natural finish.
4. This is a compact mirror which I sell in the shop. I have a blue one because I obviously love sparkly blues and purples. I sell a range of colours here and of course a mirror is an important item to carry around.
5. My stylish Dior glasses are well worth the extra money. I found it so difficult to find a decent pair of glasses and of course these were the only ones I liked. They come with a price tag, but why not treat yourself to something which you know you will always wear?
6. This Clinique lipstick in Very Current is my all time favourite. It keeps my lips moisturised and high in colour for hours.
7. Now these are the two items I never seem to go anywhere without – my iPhone 4s and the latest iPad mini 3. I find it’s easy to do emails on the iPad when I’m out and about. They both take brilliant photos, they’re compact, and I can easily keep in touch with everyone when I’m away.”