What's in my bag?
PUBLISHED: 16:56 17 August 2015 | UPDATED: 16:56 17 August 2015
Amy Gallivan takes a sneak peek into the handbag of Lucy Dawson, artist and owner of Lucy Art Boutique and Lucy Art Gallery in Bacton
Lucy Dawson is an extremely talented entrepreneur who creates jewellery, accessories, art and sculpture at her boutique and gallery in Finbows Yard, Bacton.
The boutique holds handmade items, some by Lucy and also bridal pieces. Her only criteria to be included in the shop, is that she must love them!
“We have recently branched into bridal accessories which is very exciting. I love sourcing and collecting items, I’m always on the look out for anything quirky that captures my attention,” said Lucy Dawson. “I often visit auctions both for stock and displays; I love to up-cycle. The gallery houses all my artwork which includes paintings, lampshades along with sculptures and a beautiful range of cushions. I have a slight obsession with hares (reflected in my artwork),” she said.
The boutique and gallery are a culmination of everything Lucy is about and from an early age, she says she has been enterprising and held the vision that she would one day own a jewellery store filled with her own designs.
Lucy studied graphic design at Nottingham Trent University and carries out a little freelance work, she said: “It’s been great for the business as I’ve been able to do all the marketing and website design myself.”
“After travelling I came back and planned to move to London and work for a creative agency, but my dearest oldest friend who owns the gift shop across the road from me (Emzo) asked if I would help her open the cafe. Whilst doing this, a unit came up for rent and I just jumped in and decided to open up a gallery with my paintings and photography from my travels,” she added.
“From there, I developed my style - painting mainly hares and other suffolk wildlife. I’m always looking to evolve and grow and have recently started painting lampshades, and in the near future, I will think about tiles and ceramics.
My handbag is a Mischa Barton design handbag which was given to me for doing some design work for a client. I also stocked some of her designs in the boutique.
1. Stag wallet: This quirky wallet design is from Disaster Design collection that we stock in the boutique. I have a slight obsession with stags and hares (as you can see from my artwork!) This is from the Harlequin and Heritage range.
2.Sterling silver bee necklace: I always have a few pieces of jewellery in my handbag that
I chop and change but the bee necklace is a favourite. It’s handmade sterling silver and is from a collection I stock at the shop. (This is the danger of owning a boutique, you end up keeping lots of things!).
3. Floral tape measure from Emzo: A very handy tool. I’m often at the auctions on the hunt for interesting vintage pieces of furniture and display items for the shop, so this floral tape measure is essential!
4. Natural lip balm: A purchase from a fellow stall holder. I love products that are completely natural.
5. ipad: Where would we be without ipads, iphones? It’s a great resource and organiser. I spend hours researching for the business on this wonderful machine. I’m a big pinterest fan!
6. Beach hut pencil: As an artist I always carry a pencil for sketching ideas. This beach hut novelty pencil is great fun!
7. Inspiration/ ideas notebook: A friend bought me this sweet notebook knowing I often attend shows and exhibitions and needed a place to jot down ideas. n